Re: [Roadsters] GPS speedo calibration

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] GPS speedo calibration
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:24:02 -0500
> So, how accurate is a GPS at displaying actual speed? I calibrated my
> roadster speedo to my GPS & it showed I was consistently at least 5 mph
> below at low speeds & 8-10mph below at highway speeds.

There's some lag as you speed up and slow down, but I'd run my car to
desired indicated speed on the GPS readout, hold it for a few seconds
until the speed readout settled down and then note the gear, RPM and
speed.

FWIW, I use M$ Streets & Trips 2009 with the USB GPS module on a
MacBook. I think it was around $70 at either Amazon or Buy.com. You
can usually get the software by itself for around $30. Very useful
tool for both what we're discussing as well as trip planning, etc, and
the display's a heck of a lot easier to read for us old farts. Then
again, a suction holder on the windshield doesn't work so well. <grin>

Ron