Re: [Roadsters] First try at startup fails .

To: <dansummers@comcast.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] First try at startup fails .
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 21:06:05 -0500
Dan,

First check to see whether there is power at the ignition switch terminal
which feeds the coil when the switch is in the "on" position.  If there is
no power there, I guess I'd conclude the switch is the culprit.

If there is power at the coil terminal on the switch, check "upstream" of
the ballast resistor, and downstream of the resistor.  Power upstream but
none downstream means the resistor has failed.

It is not safe to do this to drive the car, because you would not be able to
shut off the engine, but if the ballast resistor is all right, and you have
concluded the ignition switch is the culprit, you can put a jumper from the
battery to the upstream side of the ballast resistor.  Pull of the plug
wires then crank the car to check for spark.

You can do a preliminary check of the coil with a continuity tester or
ohmmeter.  I don't know what the resistance values should be, but I think
the secondary side (center terminal to body) should be zero or close.  I
suspect the primary windings (between "+" and "-" spade terminals) should
also be zero or near zero.  An "open" in either the primary or secondary
means the coil is bad.

Let's see what the rest of the list has to say, particularly about coil
tests.

Gary