Re: [Roadsters] Broken bolts

To: "Steve Harvey" <stebharvey@ameritech.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Broken bolts
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 20:28:20 -0500
Steve,

Define "lower bracket" and "upper bracket".  If you are referring to hole
tapped into the block, they are almost certainly metric, M10x1.5, I think.
I recently pulled the alternator mounting bracket off my '67-1/2 2000 to
install the correct brace which attaches to the timing case.  The PO had
installed, I think, 5/16 x something SAE bolts, which fit ALMOST correctly.
Two of the three bolts threaded in and out with no problems.  What tipped me
to the issue was slight damage to the ends of the threads on one of the
bolts.  Measured the bolts, and found they were SAE instead of metric.
Pulled a bolt from my other car, which I know to be correct, and -- M10x1.5.
Replaced all three bolts.

If you want to wait until out June Mississippi River Run, we can check it
then.  Otherwise, send further information.  Photos would help.

Your issue is why I will not even consider replacing stock alternator with
something else.  I now have a couple of spares, one working, one not.  If I
can get the non-working one rebuilt, I will be REAL hard to convince to do
anything different.

Gary