Re: [Roadsters] Steering box adjustment question...

To: "Eddie" <eddietude@socal.rr.com>, "Datsun Roadster List"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Steering box adjustment question...
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:45:13 -0500
Eddie,

Are you talking about an early, or Type "A" box?  I know nothing of the Type
"B" boxes fitted in 1969 (?) and 1970.

The Type "A" boxes are worm and roller. The screw and locknut you mention
are, indeed, for adjusting the clearance between the roller and the worm
gear.  The worm is machined in such a way that the clearance between the
roller and the gear is at a minimum when the wheels are straight ahead,
i.e., "on center", if everything else is lined up correctly.  With the
roller adjusted while on center, the clearance between the worm and roller
increases as the steering is turned left or right.

The worm gear tends to wear right on center.  You will be able to tell
whether yours is worn if you take up the clearance on center, and then
experience tight spots immediately to the left or right of center.  I am not
aware of any way to correct this other than 1) to replace the worm gear,
which is very expensive, or 2) to find a good used box.  You can also
replace the "A" box with a "B" box, but I understand the bolt holes on the
"B" boxes do not line up quite right with the mounting holes in the chassis,
but this can be altered suitably.  The "B" boxes (I think) are worm and
sector, and do not experience the same sort of uncorrectable wear that
plagues the "A" boxes.

I am dealing with this issue on one of my cars right now.  I bought a good
used box, and am in the process of exchanging it with the box in the car.

Gary