Re: [Roadsters] the NEVER ENDING story

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] the NEVER ENDING story
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:10:09 -0400
Hi Ed.  The primary resistance is what counts for a coil.  The ballast
resistor, if used, adds to it.  The higher the resistance, the less current
can flow.  If you use a very low resistance coil in the wrong application,
they tend to blow up or leak.  Also, some oil filled coils cannot be mounted
sideways, Crane PS60, for example.  You need to read the Pertronix
instructions and use the recommended ballast resistor and coil, and
depending on the coil used, mount it upright.

Chris Beyer had a brand new Pertronix coil I sent him start leaking after a
few minutes, probably factory defective.  Specs matched what I use.    I'll
stick to my regular brands from here on, they've been trouble free, mounted
either way.

Tom, thanks for the nice review.  As far as the whacky timing, unless the
advance weights were sticking or flopping loose, I remember reading that the
pertronix units have a retard feature for easy starting.  It supposedly
retards the timing 10 or 15 degrees at cranking speeds, (approx 200rpm) This
may explain the timing being all over the map.

Dave Brisco
ECR