Re: [Roadsters] Body panel alignment

To: "Steve Harvey" <stebharvey@ameritech.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Body panel alignment
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:36:13 -0600
Steve,

I know you have one response to the contrary, but I don't understand how the
presence or absence of the weatherstrips could/should affect panel
alignment.  Take the doors, for example.  You want the door gaps to be as
even as you can get them (Remember, your dealing with '60s vintage Japanese
quality), and you want the outer surface to align with the rear of the front
fender and the rear quarter.  That alignment is determined by the positions
of the hinges and door striker.  Line everything up without the
weatherstrip, and then the weatherstrip will compress as needed to allow the
doors and trunk to close.

When my '66 was redone, the shop aligned the panels without the
weatherstrips in place.  The old ones were gone, and I never gave them the
new ones to work with.  Note that I used factory door seals, so it was very
difficult to close the doors when I first put the weatherstrips in place.  I
glued them on, then taped them in place, closed the doors (with difficulty),
and left the doors closed for several days.  Over time (weeks, not months)
the weatherstrips compressed to the point where the doors now close with a
gentle push.  I did bend the lip to which the door weatherstrip mounts in a
little at the front corner.

Gary