Re: [Roadsters] welding main shaft nut on 5spd

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] welding main shaft nut on 5spd
From: "Tillinger, Richard (OLN)" <RTillinger@Dresser-Rand.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:15:51 -0400
Hi Ken et. al.,

Welding main shaft nut(s) on 5 speed tranny: don't do it! First, you
need to have your welded 5th gear ground down, preferably on a surface
grinder, but hand work it if you must (you suggested filing below). The
overall gear width must be slightly less than the length of the sleeve
it rides on (say .003-.004") so that the main nut pushes the big thrust
washer against the sleeve, not the gear. The gear is then free to rotate
on the needle bearing on the sleeve, between the two thrust surfaces,
with a slight amount of end play.

Here's what I do with the nuts; YMMV. I tighten the big nut against a
normal lock tab washer as tight as I can get it (put the tranny in 2
gears simultaneously to lock it up). Then I take a second lock tab
washer and break the two tangs off it. I put this second washer and the
second nut on, in that order, and tighten the second nut as tight as I
can. Bend the first washer against the main nut, and bend the second
washer against both nuts alternately.

Good luck,
Dick Tillinger