[Roadsters] gas tank loose piece, kooky solutions?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] gas tank loose piece, kooky solutions?
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS)" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:27:45 -0500
This is a perplexing one, really has me baffled (sorry, I couldn't
resist) cause the tank is working fine except for the rattling.
I know of no commercially OTS available adhesive that will hold up to
modern, solvent loaded road fuels. (and believe in it enough that I'd
risk it coming loose and being fed into my carbs)

2 proposed approaches, feel free to tell me why they are silly:
1.      Remove the gauge sender plate, try to twist the pieces up small
enough to remove it thru the hole.  Does it really do that much good?
(it may be that all the pressure of all the fluid sloshing against the
outlet could dislodge it, or conversely a long sweeper in the wrong
direction could leave you dry)
2.      In machinists catalogs they have real strong magnets.  Move the
baffle to what you think is the correct location then put one of these
on the outside of the tank.  No more rattles, plus you'll pick up all
the stray nails in the parking lot at Home Depot!  (note: I've seen a
few of the cylindrical magnets they shove down cows throats for this
purpose, and it is pretty surprising all the things they pick up, and
lug around for life)
Fergus O
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html