Re: [Roadsters] Gas tank sealing and fuel lines

To: "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Gas tank sealing and fuel lines
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
You know, on the face of it, the question of whether the material used to seal
the interior of a fuel tank will be degraded by exposure to the fuel would
seem kinda silly, but if I have learned anything in 29 years as an engineer in
the defense industry, spec'ing materials and components for the equipment I
have designed, it's that one must ask the question to which the answer seems
obvious. I have learned not to automatically assume that someone else is doing
their job competently, or even really knows how to do their job at an
acceptable level of competence.

That world-weary response aside b given the changes in the formulation of
gasoline over the last couple of decades, and the likelihood of further
changes in the future, asking the right questions in order to ensure that the
treatment you are paying to have done on your gas tank will hold up to its
intended usage is a smart thing to do.

On the issue of gasoline formulation b I have heard horror stories about the
gelatinous, toxic sludge that recent-years gasoline has turned into after 3 or
4 years in a tank, and I have seen pink, liquid, perfectly usable gasoline in
a gas tank that was last filled in 1990!

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
'70 2000 SRL311-13291