Re: [Roadsters] Smoker?

To: " Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Smoker?
From: "dave" <dave@eastcoastroadster.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:38:54 -0400
It could be worse if the compression on #2 jumped way up with the oil.  Were
it me, first I'd adjust the valves, or just loosen up #2 intake and exhaust
a bit to be sure and try again, wet and dry.

Next step is get #2 to TDC valves closed remove the radiator cap and all
spark plugs and put some shop air pressure, about 50-75 Psi in there and
listen for the air leaking.  Note for those who haven't done this before,
the engine will turn if it's not at TDC, sometimes putting it in top gear
with the brake on will hold it from turning, but be aware the car may move.
 If there is air hissing at the oil cap or if the dipstick launches out and
lands in the yard somewhere, suspect rings.  Rest is pretty intuitive,
hissing at tail pipe, exhaust valve, at carbs intake valve, bubbling in
coolant or blowing out an adjacent sparkplug hole, headgasket.

IMHO, 5w30 is a bit thin, I use Rotella (15w50, IIRC)

Hope for the best

Dave

Dave wrote

OK, Mike, this can't be good news...