Re: [Roadsters] Gaskets 2 Litre

To: richard bush <rabush2000@hotmail.com>, Roadster List
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Gaskets 2 Litre
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:03:20 -0500
Hi Rick,

Give Les a call at Classic Datsun Motorsports in Oceanside and tell
him what you need.

Be careful not to over tighten the fasteners on the bits that aren't
under much if any pressure. You''ll just distort the gasket and it'll
keep leaking. In fact it's a good idea to check both surfaces to make
sure they're flat or you may never get them to seal properly. Often a
THIN layer of non-hardening sealer helps on paper and cork gaskets,
and it definitely helps hold the gasket in place while you start
fasteners. On the manifold gasket I' d put a small bead of sealer
around the water passages.

You've got your work cut out for you, especially if the engine is in
the car. I also think you'll need to loosen and lower the oil pan
slightly to do the timing chain cover unless you're talking about the
small oval inspection cover above the water pump. Speaking of the
water pump, check the "weep hole" on the bottom. If it is weeping
water the shaft seal is probably shot and you'll need to replace the
pump.

Stay cool,
Ron

> Greetings from Austin Texas.
> I have a friend - Alan Milroy, copied on this email, who is helping me with
my 1967 2000 Fairlady.
> Thus far, we have determined that I have a number of gaskets that are
leaking and need to be replaced. These include the valve cover gasket, the
timing chain cover gasket, the intake exhaust gasket or manifold, and the
water pump gasket. Does anyone know where I can get new gaskets for the car?
> It appears that the gaskets are interchangeable for years 68 through 70 for
the 2 litre.
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $16.00