[Roadsters] Seals for bearings on SU's

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Seals for bearings on SU's
From: "shas1983@netzero.net" <shas1983@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:57:35 GMT
I have a set of SU' that were rebuilt about 10 years ago by Mike Poorboy who I
believe formerly owned Z therapy.They have sat in a box never installed until
last spring. Everything was replaced including roller bearing shafts which I
thought were sealed. I took some carb cleaner one day and discovered that the
bearing were not sealed. Getting carb cleaner anywhere near the shaft
instantly shut the carb down. I found out after the fact that these were
supposedly set up for racing, with no springs and different needles. I have
added springs and replaced both the needles and the jets.  I have never been
able to get these to work well without running heavy 40w oil in the dashpots,
which I am speculating is due to the air leakage around these bearings. With
this oil, I get good response in low gears and at lower speeds, but once over
80 mph they want to bog when pushing the throttle heavily. I can only gain
speed by gently applying the throttle and waiting for the speed to gradually
increase. t seems to me this may be the result of the heavy oil not allowing
the pistons to open enough for adequate air/fuel at higher speeds. Does this
make sense? Can I be over compensating with the Heavy oil for the airflow to
the point that I am sacrificing high end? Not sure if the floats could be
impacting this as well. I set these using a drill bit as a guage as described
by others, I have noticed a tendency on even minor inclines to loose
acceleration. The engine has good compression, electronic ignition,.etc so I
am left believing it is somehow related to the carbs. Any help would be
appreciated.
Groupon&#8482 Official Site
1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off your city&#39;s best!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4d76b489cd8710e3fdst01duc
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $16.00