[Roadsters] FW: Charging Question - update

To: Datsun-Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] FW: Charging Question - update
From: "Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ED10)" <phillip.b.hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:09:53 -0500
Hey Pete -

Many thanks for the forward reply!

Ok - went out and kept it running long enough to measure the voltage at the
battery and coil at about 1500 RPM

Battery = 14.71 volts
Coil     = 14.04 volts

This is high and as Dave said maybe overloading the coil.

Why is both the stock and GM overcharging?  I cleaned my battery connections
and reworked the grounds starting at the battery.  Even reworked the ground
to the starter.  Could a shorted plate in the battery cause this?  I have
never experienced overcharging like this even with a regulator stuck full
open.  Out to get the spare battery out (if it is still good), get it
charged and try it.

I did just replace the cap and rotor - obviously with no luck....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  Got to love issues like this to test
my mechanic ability... Ha.

Phil

On 3/14/11 5:29 PM, "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> Here's some ideas from Dave, a roadster guy and ex-Datsun mechanic, who is
> not on the lists/forums.
>
> Pete
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html