Re: [Roadsters] Calling Jim Bain

To: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Calling Jim Bain
From: "E Scanlon" <escanlon@wa-net.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:51:38 -0700
The original OEM wiring diagram has the YG to the Temp and the YR to the Fuel.
>From that I'm pretty sure Jim just followed what the OEM diagram showed.

I've done a lot of work with the 240 wiring diagrams and errors, omissions,
justapositions, even inverted colors are nothing new.  There are also at least
one wire in the Roadster diagrams that go "nowhere" yet are part of the
circuitry. (GL wire coming from position 2 on a 68 Light Switch.)

But good catch.
  Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:42 PM
  Subject: [Roadsters] Calling Jim Bain

  Jim Bain,

  Are you out there?

  First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to prepare your =
  wonderful color wiring diagrams for the roadster, which I downloaded =
  from 311s.org and printed at work in 11x17.  (I have thought of plotting =
  them in 34x22, but, so far, 11x17 works fine.)  The 65-67 and 67.5 =
  diagrams have been of great help to me.

  In troubleshooting a gauge wiring problem in my '67-1/2 2000, though, I =
  noticed what I believe is an error in the 67.5 diagram.  I have a spare =
  (used) '67-1/2 dash harness, and the differences are consistent with =
  what I found in my car, so I think it is truly an error.  Please note =
  that the error has absolutely no electrical consequence, but I figured =
  anyone who put as much time into this effort as you have would want to =
  know.

  The wiring diagram shows a yellow/green wire going from the gauge =
  voltage regulator to the temperature gauge, and a yellow/red wire =
  (spliced to the yellow/green wire leaving the gauge voltage regulator) =
  going to the fuel gauge.  The reality is opposite:  The yellow green =
  wire goes to the fuel gauge, and the yellow/red wire goes to the =
  temperature gauge.

  A nit-pick, to be sure, because both wires are connected.  But, again, I =
  thought you would want to know.

  Gary Ault
  '66 1600/U20 SU SPL311-05917 (purchased in July 1971; converted to =
  U20-SU in 1972)
  '67-1/2 2000 Solex SRL311-00428 (purchased in April, 2008)

datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums