Re: [Roadsters] Hidden Antenna

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Hidden Antenna
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:07:51 -0700
I think by asking about a hidden antenna you are referring to an antenna
that does not mount through the body at all.  I would question the
performance of such an antenna on AM, but on FM your reception should be
fairly good as long as you are not travelling away from populated areas.  As
long as there is even a length of wire an inch or more long connected to the
antenna input of the radio you will be able to receive FM stations within a
limited area.  AM takes a little more to pick up stations reliably.

The biggest problem you will have is finding a spot where the antenna is not
abvious, yet is not shielded by the metal of the car body.  About the best
spot I found for the antenna for my alarm system was on the hook for the
factory hard top located inder the body at the center of the interior just
ahead of the trunk lid.  Even that was not a very good spot and it did not
work well.  Since I have Miata seats without speakers I ended up installing
the alarm antenna in the speaker area of the right seat headrest.  If you
have Miata seats this is a great place to hide an antenna or about anything
else that will fit in there.

If you are talking about a retracting antenna, I have one on Mr. Hyde.  It
is mounted on the left rear fender and braced with a short link to the
flange on the wheel well seam.  The antenna motor assembly is properly
supported and has survived some spirited driving on some rough roads around
Shasta a couple of years ago that destroyed one of my speakers.  I tried
installing the antenna on the front fender first, but there was not enough
room to properly clear the antenna motor assembly.  When I replaced the
front fender the antenna hole had already been removed, which is why began
to look at the rear fender.  In addition, I like the clean view out the
front without an antenna mast in my view.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Las Vegas
http://www.datsun2000.com <http://www.datsun2000.com/>