Re: [Roadsters] Reproduction Rear Leaf Springs Front Bushings Replacemen

To: David Bloyer <david_bloyer@hotmail.com>, "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Reproduction Rear Leaf Springs Front Bushings Replacement For drained Polyurethane - solved
From: RWM via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:48:01 -0400

--------------7669AFC07C10A85D1FDB0D09

Great resource to note!

What I still don't understand is why or how polyurethane bushings
liquefy in place.

- Bob Mann, '68 2000 Solex

On 10/18/2018 3:02 AM, David Bloyer via Datsun-roadsters wrote:
> Just to close the loop on this issue for the record and to hopefully help
> anyone in the future with this problem, I am sharing the following solution.
>
> I was contacted off list by a member, M. Alsup, who was able to offer up
> custom turned 90 â??hardâ?? polyurethane bushing inserts with inner sleeves
> to my measured needs.  These were installed easily using generous amounts of
> Prothane lube and a large â??Câ?? clamp to â??pressâ?? in place.  My car is
> back on the road without having to entirely disassemble the rear end which is
> a huge plus. I did one side at a time with a floor jack holding the spring
> end as it was lowered or raised out of the mounting position.  Cleaning out
> the messy liquefied polyurethane was a supreme hassle, however. The turn time
> from â??orderâ?? to delivery was within a week and the quality was excellent.
> Price was reasonable knowing that these were custom created.
>
> Mr. Alsup also provides inserts for the torque tube bushings, which I have
> not ordered, but feel I should given the positive experience with my specific
> needs.
>
> So noted for the record.
>

>> On Aug 31, 2018, at 5:29 AM, David Bloyer <david_bloyer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have had the unfortunate luck of having the polyurethane go to liquid and
>> drain out on 4 year old replacement leaf springs with aftermarket pressed in
>> front bushings. The vendor no longer sells this version, so thatâ??s good
>> for others, but not my luck.
>>
>> The vendor indicated that I should remove the springs, press out the old
>> ones and press in a new vulcanized version they sell.
>>
>> I was curious if anyone had ever tried (or has thoughts about) a custom
>> Delrin sleeve (there are vendors on eBay that can make these) that would fit
>> in the area of the gap between the outer bushing and the inner one (I.e.:
>> where the polyurethane used to be)?
>>
>> I know that the Delrin would not be as compliant as the polyurethane, but it
>> would save a heck of a lot of work to find a replacement for this gap
>> instead of tearing the back end apart again.
>>
>> If this is a viable option, anyone know the approximate diameters (outer and
>> inner) for the polyurethane â??gapâ???  Iâ??d measure mine exactly for final
>> order, but Iâ??d use this info to see what approximate cost is likely for
>> the vendor to make a sleeve.
>>
>> Car is a 1968 2000, btw.
>>
>> Comments appreciated and thanks in advance.

--------------7669AFC07C10A85D1FDB0D09

  <head>
  </head>
      liquefy in place.</p>
      Datsun-roadsters wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CY1PR0101MB1116B6CA7A097E3957E38347E1F80@CY1PR0101MB1116.prod.exchangelabs.com">
      <pre wrap="">Just to close the loop on this issue for the record and to
[...]

</pre>
        <pre wrap="">On Aug 31, 2018, at 5:29 AM, David Bloyer <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:david_bloyer@hotmail.com";>&lt;david_bloyer@hotmail.com&gt;</a>

--===============7299541357268758988==