fot

Re: Wheel advice needed

To: emanteno@ix.netcom.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel advice needed
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 22:12:39 -0500 (EST)

<< My thought is to use TR6 steel wheels as recommended in
 "Vintage Racing British Cars", but the book says that TR6 wheels need
 to be reinforced to be safe. >>

Irv-

No matter who suggests using stock TR wheels, I wouldn't do it. Racing is
expensive, step up, be a man, and buy some "real" wheels. No matter how much
they cost, its gonna look cheesy on your tombstone...He died of cheap wheels.
The stock wheels crack so easily, I think you could do it with an old
Michelin X. They will crack in a circular pattern just at the outer edge of
the flat center section  where it rolls up and further out. (jeez this is
tough without using my hands). I have seen some wheels with 4 plates fitted
so that the edge of the plate mates with the wheel from the flat area,
between each lug bolt, out in a fan shape toward the outer edge of the wheel,
and then welded on. I still wouldn't trust them, but you know what they say
about opinions and how everyones got one...

Besides, cool wheels make it look like a "real" race car...
            Nick in Nor Cal