fot

Re: Bad weekend report.

To: spirals@ESINET.NET
Subject: Re: Bad weekend report.
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 01:42:00 -0400 (EDT)

<< Back in the paddock I find the brass fuel feed tube to the rear float
 chamber had broken (vibration?) at the point where it is pressed into the
 float chamber lid. It looked like the hose came to rest on the Tilton
 master assembly and spewed fuel down through the openings for the petals.

   Chip,
   A pity, to say the least.  What carbs do you run?  I have only seen SU
feed tubes fail after they have been really hurt.  I have really abused them
to remove them before I realized that a little heat makes their removal
much easier.  I run "aeroquip" threadded fittings (drill out the ID).  SCCA
had prohibited press in fittings in carb fuel feed fittings due to FF & S2000
carbs where the pressed in fittings fell out; but a healthy one on a SU
is most unlikely to.  DPO or hitting something while pulling/fitting
the motor to the chassis are things to watch out for.  Do you have
enough slack in the lines to cover the motor moving about, including
the possible impact with Miata probability?   I agree with your not
trusting "aeroquip" lines that are the LEAST bit suspect (see non-
attached, expensive, dangerous story)
   Good luck and speed on the rebuilt              HP

P.S. Chip and FOT: As none of our gearbox covers seem to be flame resistant,
please remember Hardy trick:  When flames from the front start to blow
into the cockpit, quickly check your path for suitability,and SPIN IT 180
deg.
to blow the flames away.  If your car's rear tires are covered with oil, as
my
TRs were when I first tried this, it is very easy to do!!