fot

Re: Axle quotes

To: Chip Bond <spirals@ESINET.NET>
Subject: Re: Axle quotes
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:22:55 -0500
Chip Bond wrote:

> 1. change the material spec to E-4325

4325 is fine, especially in light of the success they have had.

> 2. "Through harden" the shaft, as opposed to the zone treatment that was
>recommended by Jacks experienced friend.

If they can through harden and keep the shaft straight, go for it. The
entire axle shaft will be stronger.In light of previous input, perhaps
we should request magnagloing the keyway area to be assured that quench
cracks do not emanate from the sharp keyway corners.

> 3. Change the shaft "steps" up to the seal surface. I'm unsure what the
>intent here is.

I don't have a problem with this, either. I have always been puzzled by
the factory design. I'd be amenable to the advice of a modern axle
manufacturer.

> 4. Increase the diameter of the threaded portion.

No problem with this, either, although I don't see the need for it since
we are unaware of any failures at this point. A new nut and washer
should be supplied so purchasers don't have to track these down on their
own.

Re: price -- It would probably be prudent to develop a new list of
sincere purchasers once the final price is known.