fot

Axle quotes

To: "'Jack Drews, home'" <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Subject: Axle quotes
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:33:06 -0400
Yesterday I sent a copy of the axle drawings to George Wright who had
previously contatcted "Stock Car Products" in Richmond. George met with the
owner last evening and the long and the short of it (maybe George can add
some more) was that they were willing to look at the project. The owner
stressed that it would not be a cheap piece, around $250 per ($500/set) as
a preliminary guess. However they are a reputable shop that produces axles
on an ongoing basis for racing purposes. The owner made four suggestions:

1. change the material spec to E-4325 (whatever that is) He said they used
4140 until about fifteen years ago than switched to this alloy and stopped
breaking axles.
2. "Through harden" the shaft, as opposed to the zone treatment that was
recommended by Jacks experienced friend.
3. Change the shaft "steps" up to the seal surface. I'm unsure what the
intent here is.
4. Increase the diameter of the threaded portion.

I guess it's time for the interested members of FOT to provide a little
feedback
It is unclear if they would require the 20 pair minimum that they indicated
in a previous contact. If they do, are any of you willing to double your
order? Ted or Ken, would you be willing to take on a little additional
inventory for resale? Is the cost acceptable? Does anyone have commetns
about "through hardening" and the E-4325 alloy?

If any of you would like a copy of the drawing I'm using for quotation
request, send your fax number.

We still have quotes pending from

Indiana Tool,
Currie Enterprises,
Dutchman Motorsports,
Sway - A - Way,

Strange, Dana-Spicer, Williams Enginnering have declined all declined to
quote.

Regards All,
Chip