fot

VERY SAD DAY

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: VERY SAD DAY
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 97 11:12:53 pst

     Michel Rothschild died yesterday after a very short illness.  My wife
     (his daughter) and I spent two glorious weeks with him during our trip
     to the UK and France just this month for the London to Brighton Rally.

     He had a premonition and was determined to visit his mother's grave
     site in Paris for the last time.

     We celebrated his 70th birthday while in Paris -he was truly happy
     that night.  Unusual for him since he never wanted any hoopla of any
     sort any time.  He was the most self-motivated and self-directing
     individual I have ever met.  He was the driver.  The late Ken
     Richardson told me that he had met many drivers many  of them
     more talented but not one that was more consistent lap after lap.

     He has done many things that would make most people consider each one
     a lifetime achievement.

     He engineered and built a special oceangoing crane/platform to open
     the channel at Grand Turk which the US Army Corps of engineers said
     was impossible to do.  It was towed to the island by a Tug boat he
     bought and specially outfitted for the project. Grand Turks' natural
     harbor was closed for a century by a previous Hurricane and now is
     open for all as a safe harbor to weather Caribbean storms.

     He developed methods of collecting vaporized Zinc from hot furnaces
     that set the standard for particulate reclamation a full TEN years
     before the EPA thought it was necessary.

     He developed methods of heat saturating large brass billets for
     extrusions of upto eight inches (one of the largest in the world).

     He donated much of the brass that went into the restoration of the
     Statue of Liberty.

     He raced and won at Le Mans.

     He had a Beechcraft Baron that he Island hopped with and ferried
     supplies to people when they needed it.

     He was a "Quiet Bird".

     Good Bye Mike.