fot

Re: Rods

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rods
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:57:53 EST
Subj:   Re: Rods
Date:   12/31/97
To:     spirals@esinet.net

<<
 Well this morning I had to follow up on Nicks post. So I called Eagle
 (stock car and drag rods). It looked like they had just the thing. 6.250"
 center to center fully prepped racing rods at about $500/8. But, like Uncle
 Jack points out, the side clearance of 0.200"+ is a bit much.

 But....if one were to build that killer motor with a custom steel crank
 from, say, Moldex. And would adjust his bearing journal width to
 accommodate that Chevy rod, one would pay for half of the crankshaft with
 the savings from the rod set. And, they say, less bearing area frees up
 those ponies.... so I dunno....It might be a feasible way to go.

Chip etal-
Side clearance aside...the problem surfaces when you realize that the "U"
shaped end of the rod has to fit around a 2.2" crank throw. Now the rod is
about .75" thick on each side at the point where the bolt goes thru (ok I
don't have one here with me to measure but I'm probably being conservative
here), now double that for both sides and you have a rod approx 3.75" across
at the parting line. Folks, no matter how hard you push...that rod is not
gonna fit down thru a less than 3.5" bore!
Any questions?????

Been there, felt stupid, wanna but some nifty TR sized Chevvy rods????/
        Nick in Nor Cal