fot

Was "Alfa GTAm Fender Flares" now TR4 flares

To: <DLMAssoc@AOL.COM>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Was "Alfa GTAm Fender Flares" now TR4 flares
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:20:35 -0600
Don Marshall asked:

> were flares used on TR4 racers in the '60s?  I'm busy
> installing some on my '63 TR4 for autocrossing and wonder
> whether I can use the same car if I decide to go vintage
> racing someday.  The Kastner competition prep manual has a
> couple pictures (without flares), but that's all I have to go
> by so far.

There were no flares on the Kastner-prepared, Charlie
Gates-driven TR4 in 1963 when I raced against it (and I had a
real good view of it as it lapped me). There was also a list of
factory-supplied TR4 competition parts at the time, and flares
were not on the list. On the other hand, these are 35 year old
memories, and I don't know what may have been SCCA approved or
tolerated after 1964 . . .

Jim Hill
Madison WI