fot

Re: Was "Alfa GTAm Fender Flares" now TR4 flares

To: DLMAssoc@AOL.COM, vintage-race@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was "Alfa GTAm Fender Flares" now TR4 flares
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:37:20
Hi Don,

At 01:52 PM 2/17/98 EST, you wrote:
>I was thinking about this this very morning... were flares used on TR4
>racers in the '60s?  I'm busy installing some on my '63 TR4 for autocrossing
>and wonder whether I can use the same car if I decide to go vintage racing
>someday.  The Kastner competition prep manual has a couple pictures
>(without flares), but that's all I have to go by so far.

That's a bit of a thorny question; and one that I'm looking into a bit for
another project.  In this case, I've got an SCCA logbook from 1972 which
clearly shows the flares on that car; its actually an interesting photo,
as the car still has the windshield and wipers, but has flares, wide
wheels and a rollbar.

Anyway, the other data point (which I'm still trying to verify, so its
veracity is more questionable) is that I was told that the flares went
on my  TR-4 in 1965.  It is quite likely that it was raced with one of
the non-SCCA clubs that existed in California in the '60's and which may
have had more lenient rules than the SCCA did at that time.  So, to
answer your question as well as I can, I have two different reasons to
believe that there were race sanctioning bodies that allowed flares
in the '60's to early '70's but I don't really have good documentation
of that fact yet.  Not very helpful, I guess, but that's the best that
I can do right now.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu