fot

Re: Was "Alfa GTAm Fender Flares" now TR4 flares

To: "Bownes, Robert M. (EXCH)" <RMBOWNES@intermedia.com>,
Subject: Re: Was "Alfa GTAm Fender Flares" now TR4 flares
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:29:28 -0600
> Flares were indeed a bit of a thorny issue. As I understand it, they
> were not allowed in SCCA. However, they were frequently tolerated. And,
> if the article about the Group 44 GT6 is to be believed, if you could
> put them on and it didn't look obvious, it was OK. There's a great
> description in the article attributed to Kas about how to flare the rear
> and 'have it look so much like it came from the factory that the
> inspectors will never look twice' or something of the same feeling.

There was a story circulating about the TR6 that Paul Newman bought from
Group 44 and then won the national championship with. The story was that
while the car had no flares, it was several inches wider than a stock TR6.
It was said that Group 44 was always careful not to paddock near other
TR6's. Don't know if there is any truth to this, but it makes an
interesting urban legend.

Irv