fot

Re: Corinthians and Tristan

To: susan@grotecon.com
Subject: Re: Corinthians and Tristan
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 06:02:08 -0400
Susan Hensley wrote:

> Thanks Joe, for the site info!  Here is our local vintage group I hope
> to run with in August, Corinthians Vintage Auto Racing:
> http://web2.airmail.net/cvar1/
>
> I have attended several of their events as pit crew, and it's a lot of
> fun.
>
> Now to my sordid story:
> I got sidelined by a neck problem after pushing an MGB (yeah, I know, I
> asked for it), and finally got to pulling of Tristan's lower end on
> Sunday.  Yuck.  I wish I hadn't.  The #3 rod was spaghetti -- twisted up
> and in about 3-4 major parts and a whole lotta slivers.  The piston was
> pretty chewed (read MORE metal in the system) and the cylinder wall was
> nicked a little --  not badly, considering what was going on.  So, I am
> set back even more.  I have located and will be picking up a 1300 small
> bearing block and crank and hopefully rods on Sunday ($50 -- thanks
> Darren!)and will whisk them to the machine shop ASAP.  I do have an
> offer from the same guy (Darren) to rent his spare 1300 race engine for
> VTR National.  Nice guy!  I hope to have this one back together by then,
> but it just may not happen.
>
> I do have a question for the collective wisdom -- what is the best way
> to clean out oil lines and the oil cooler so no metal shreds are left?
> Is it better to replace everything (ouch)?  I have an Accusump, which
> unfortunately was wide open at the time, and it needs to be cleaned
> out.  Darren gave me the name and number of a company that does that, so
> that will be taken care of.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Keep Triumphing,
> Susan   :)
> Slightly discouraged, but with options, and boy, what a learning
> experience!
a cleaned out oil cooler is an initation to a cleaned out check book.
they CANNOT be cleaned out.  the price of a cooler is small in
comparison to the price of a bottom end.  when we were running the IMSA
GTU car, we were using EXPENSIVE coolers - 32 row and $200+ - and they
were pitched if we lost an engine. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive