fot

Blackhawk Vintage Classic

To: AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com (Alexander Joseph H),
Subject: Blackhawk Vintage Classic
From: KHoward313@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:34:30 EDT
Joe, Bill,

Wow!  What a weekend!  I was ready to call it "quits" after my first time out.
I couldn't keep the car on the track . . . kept sliding all over the place.
Turns out that Bob Demsey had over inflated the tires to compensate for the
limited clearance when loading the car on the track.  After both Neal and I
finished our first training laps, we lowered the air pressure all around and
the driving really turned to fun.

Thanks Joe, for your mentoring and being our "Buddie" for this first time out.
Your directions and words of wisdom (beyond, "It doesn't matter") were
extremely helpful and well taken.  With your presence, I'm sure Neal and I
received much more guidance than any of the other students.

And thanks Bill, for your keeping your eye on Neal on the track during the
racing and helping him with his passing is much appreciated.  Having one of
the all-time pros like you helping us has been a great opportunity.   And your
quick moves with the fire extinguisher saved us a lot of damage.

Wine & Cheese Nite
I certainly could supply some 2' x 6' tables for the event.  Just let me know
how many you need.  Carole's out right now and if there is one thing I've
learned in 31 years of marriage, it's not to make any committment in her
behalf without her knowledge.  I'll discuss it with her later today and get
back to you on Tuesday.

A Second Car
Bill, everytime I spend some money, Carole tries to equal me (but has a hard
time keeping up).  Even though she's the boss around here, I'm still the lead
person on $Outgo$.  Matter of fact, we've spent more in the last six months
since I retired than we have in the last ten years.  When I was working,
didn't have time to do things that cost money.  So, although the idea of a
second car sounds good, it would have to be a really good deal and not require
a lot of Bob Dempsey's time and parts from TRF, Moss or Victoria British.  I
hope to take a look at Mark School's TR4 in the next week or so.  Sounds like
he would like about $5,000 for it.

Having one car does create a frustrating situation.  Both Neal and I would
like to be behind the wheel at Bric.  Neal now has considerably more
experience than me, having been in the races at Blackhawk.  But I'd like to
spend some time behind the wheel, but am concerned that BRIC, with all the
cars, might not be the best place for a beginner.  Your thoughts on this would
be appreciated.  We will probably enter IRP in July and ELVF in September so
we'll still have more opportunities this year if there are no major problems
with the car.

Again, thanks for the special help from both of you and from all the other
FOTs that gave us advice and encouragement.

Kent