fot

Re: MICHAEL JACKSON

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MICHAEL JACKSON
From: mike jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 21:21:03 -0700
hmmm, maybe I better go buy myself a copy of Autoweek.  If I cant find
one, I'll ask for a loaner photocopy.

With true characteristic lack of humility, and in an unabashed attempt
to garner your admiration (since I didnt get no F&*%ing trophy), here is
the short version of the GREAT FORMULA V race.

Two classes of vintage FVs were on the track for the GREAT FORMULA V
race. 1) monoposto legal cars, 2)all the rest.  All the rest includes
such modifcations as, slicks, motors oversize to as much as 1600cc (from
1200), removed cooling fans (good for roughly 8hp out of 60) etc.  That
class also included 2 cars that are true modern spec but that were being
driven by two drivers, so BRIC let the 2nd driver run in the vintage
group.  That sucks, 'bout like our TRs being gridded with EP Miatas.

We had a split start, guess which group was first?  Too bad.  Cause what
ensued between Petunia and the Shadowfax was just as wonderful as ANY
race I have ever had in the TR.  We were gridded 1-2 in the second
group.  We finished with my nose literaly less than a foot ahead of his
after drafting along side him on the last straight.  We both led,
sometimes more than once per lap.  We both drove the daylights out of
our selves.  Michael Schumacher would have been proud to witness the use
of curbs on every corner and dirt when necessary.  Only one other car
led and he spun a few corners later trying to hold on under the
pressure.  In spite of them having a several hundred yard head start, we
caught and passed nearly all the non MR legal cars even though they
could motor us on the straights.  Bob Cornish, owner and pilot of
Petunia said it was the best race he's had in the car since the '83
runoffs.  I still hyperventilate when I watch the video tape from my
carcam.

Autoweek may report 4th place but the FV vintage racing community will
say it was Petunia and the Shadowfax, two of the most famous FVs of all
time, up front, just like it should be.

jeez, my blood pressure is up again just thinking about it.  Maybe I'll
go watch the tape for the 101th time.