fot

RE: Triumph Bikes

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, BillDentin@AOL.COM
Subject: RE: Triumph Bikes
From: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 21:07:48 -0400
At 04:03 PM 8/26/98 -0700, Bill Babcock wrote:
>I love Triumph motors, but I don't like the flexy frame, the indifferent
>and the general way Triumphs handle--and I've got a lot of company, thus
>all the classic Tritons--a Norton featherbed frame and a Triumph engine
>with all the 60's classic cafe racer stuff.

Bill,
I share your interest in bikes, albiet at about 3/8 scale. My street ride
is a '73 Triumph Trident I've had for 15 years. Actually I had no idea it
was related to my TR-4. Although from Lucas to luckless, there is a
contankerous family gene which is undeniable.
My greater interest in motorcycles is in racing.  Although I've raced a
number of road races, my more comfortable zone is in the dirt.  As a much
younger man, I raced everything from enduros, hare scrambles, lots of
motocroos to flat track and TT races.  Currently I race a '73 Maico 400 in
vintage motocross and a '73 Honda Motosport in short track. Occasionally
I'll campaign the Maico in TT races. At the tender age of 62, motocross is
starting to take its toll so sometime in the future I'll probably have to
take another look at road racing.  Years ago I owned a Norton 850 Commando
concurrently with my Trident.  I'd swap rides back and forth and the Norton
was a vastly superior handling ride.  A Norton vintage road racer might
look pretty good in my autumnal years of motorcycling.
Thanks for sharing your interest in bikes. I've felt like a closet sprocket
head out here all by myself.
 Richard Taylor