fot

Re: Required Reading

To: "Mark J Bradakis" <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Required Reading
From: "Roger Beasley" <beeline@iline.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:02:30 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_01BDD68B.16D38100

Mark and Amici,

My wife and I had the pleasure of attending the Goodwood Festival of Speed
this year, held on June 12th.  It was an unforgettable experience and one
we hope to find an excuse, however slight, to do again.

It was the most awesome collection of wheeled machinery that mortals are
likely to encounter.  Sadly, there were no Triumphs running the hill, but
the marque was superbly represented by the British Triumph Regester whose
members manned a booth and most especially for vintage race fans, by
Racetorations, who displayed two of the finest race modified TR-3s you are
likely to see.  (With apologies to Jeff Snook and Mike Jackson whose 3s
must surely be the best I've seen in the US).

Racestorations has a WEB homepage that is a must for TR enthusiasts.  Check
them out at WWW.racetor.force9.co.uk for pics of their racecars and parts.

Back to Goodwood.  It was a true thrill to rub shoulders with greats such
as Stirling Moss, John Surtees and Mario Andretti, not to mention the
pleasure of seeing now Florida resident, Brian Redmond, again.  Adding to
the carnival was a Brooks auction of memorabilia and fine automobiles on
the back lawn of the estate.  Perhaps one of the more amazing things we
discovered was the displays of the "panel beaters" who had brought various
examples of their craft for show.  One that stands out in particular was a
"D" Jag alloy body that had been transported to the festival atop an old
Volvo station wagon (shooting brake?).

The actual hillclimb runs were no more spectacular than the rest of the
show but two participants stood out above the rest--John Surtees on a
variety of Norton and BMW motorcycles and Mario in his F1 championship
Lotus 59 and Michael's current Texaco Havoline Swift Champ car.  Rain or
shine, they were "on the gas".

It is literally all one can do to take it all in over the three day
festival.

The Goodwood homepage is at     WWW.goodwood.co.uk

You should start making plans early, as we began looking for accommodations
in February and wound up staying in Hasslemere (Hazelmere), about 35 miles
away.
It made for a pleasant hour's drive each way, so it wasn't too bad.
However, we would prefer to stay in Chichester next time.

I would be happy to provide additional information to anyone who would like
more.

Roger Beasley
Cape Coral, Fl
beeline@iline.com
'62 TR-4 Vintage racecar
'62 TR-4 parts car----------
> From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
> To: fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Required Reading
> Date: Wednesday, September 02, 1998 3:36 AM
>

> One quick thought.  Bringing up Le Mans and the Mille Miglia reminded
> me that at this year's VTR the suggestion was made among the Team Fat
> regulars to blow off the usual trip to the annual convention, perhaps in
> 2001, and head to England for the Goodwood "Festival of Speed" or
whatever
> the actual event title may be.  Any other interest?
>
> mjb.
------=_NextPart_000_01BDD68B.16D38100

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">Mark and Amici,<br><br>My wife and I =
had the pleasure of attending the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year, =
held on June 12th. &nbsp;It was an unforgettable experience and one we =
hope to find an excuse, however slight, to do again. <br><br>It was the =
most awesome collection of wheeled machinery that mortals are likely to =
encounter. &nbsp;Sadly, there were no Triumphs running the hill, but the =
marque was superbly represented by the British Triumph Regester whose =
members manned a booth and most especially for vintage race fans, by =
Racetorations, who displayed two of the finest race modified TR-3s you =
are likely to see. &nbsp;(With apologies to Jeff Snook and Mike Jackson =
whose 3s must surely be the best I've seen in the =
US).<br><br>Racestorations has a WEB homepage that is a must for TR =
enthusiasts. &nbsp;Check them out at WWW.racetor.force9.co.uk for pics =
of their racecars and parts.<br><br>Back to Goodwood. &nbsp;It was a =
true thrill to rub shoulders with greats such as Stirling Moss, John =
Surtees and Mario Andretti, not to mention the pleasure of seeing now =
Florida resident, Brian Redmond, again. &nbsp;Adding to the carnival was =
a Brooks auction of memorabilia and fine automobiles on the back lawn of =
the estate. &nbsp;Perhaps one of the more amazing things we discovered =
was the displays of the &quot;panel beaters&quot; who had brought =
various examples of their craft for show. &nbsp;One that stands out in =
particular was a &quot;D&quot; Jag alloy body that had been transported =
to the festival atop an old Volvo station wagon (shooting =
brake?).<br><br>The actual hillclimb runs were no more spectacular than =
the rest of the show but two participants stood out above the rest--John =
Surtees on a variety of Norton and BMW motorcycles and Mario in his F1 =
championship Lotus 59 and Michael's current Texaco Havoline Swift Champ =
car. &nbsp;Rain or shine, they were &quot;on the gas&quot;.<br><br>It is =
literally all one can do to take it all in over the three day festival. =
&nbsp;<br><br>The Goodwood homepage is at =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WWW.goodwood.co.uk<br><br>You should start =
making plans early, as we began looking for accommodations in February =
and wound up staying in Hasslemere (Hazelmere), about 35 miles away. =
&nbsp;However, we would prefer to stay in Chichester next time.<br><br>I =
would be happy to provide additional information to anyone who would =
car----------<br>&gt; From: Mark J Bradakis &lt;<font =
color=3D"#0000FF"><u>mjb@cs.utah.edu</u><font =
color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; To: <font =
color=3D"#0000FF"><u>fot@autox.team.net</u><font =
color=3D"#000000"><br>&gt; Subject: Re: Required Reading<br>&gt; Date: =
quick thought. &nbsp;Bringing up Le Mans and the Mille Miglia =
reminded<br>&gt; me that at this year's VTR the suggestion was made =
among the Team Fat<br>&gt; regulars to blow off the usual trip to the =
annual convention, perhaps in<br>&gt; 2001, and head to England for the =
Goodwood &quot;Festival of Speed&quot; or whatever<br>&gt; the actual =
------=_NextPart_000_01BDD68B.16D38100--