fot

Re: Crank Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crank Question
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 18:36:55 -0600 (MDT)
If you run a Spitfire, it isn't all that rare.  As a matter of fact, the
production Spit I have stashed away in one of my storage units was sidelined
due to a sheared flywheel.  And a few years ago, out at a divisional autocross
some friends with a newly built Spit had it happen to them.  Turns out that
the flywheel was bolted on with exactly zero pins in place.  Luckily I had
my portable compressor and a range of air tools so we could slice and dice
some bolts to make a pin to get them back on the course for a couple of
runs each the next day.

When I finally get the proper flywheel, or figure out what clutch cover
fits the one I have, I'll likely add an extra pin or two to Killer's crank
to hold the flywheel on.  Hmmm, better order in some new bolts, too.

mjb.