fot

Re: Crank Question

To: "Bob Lang" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crank Question
From: "DAN DURYEE" <DLDEAD@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 21:28:05 -0600
Bob that was the 4th time  I have had the flywheel break all 4 bolts. The
first time was 4 or 5 years ago. Broke all 4 bolts a 1 pin, replaced bolts
& pin 2 races later crank broke just behine #6 rod!! Replaced crank!!  Next
crank I put 4 pins &  new stock bolts,safety wired them. Same failure. Next
redid rear of crank,4 pins& new ARP bolts ,red locktite. That,s the one
that let loose a BRIC.
Best we can tell that type of 6cyl. crank is real bad about harmonics,
can,t take high RPM,s.
Never had one come out of bellhousing..

Dan
SDS Racing

----------
> From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
> To: fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: Crank Question
> Date: Wednesday, October 07, 1998 1:08 PM
>
> Hi,
>
> No, I mean crank-shaft.
>
> When you guys crank up the power in your cars, do you add three more
> dowel pins to the crank/flywheel connection??? I think I'm getting one of

> my cranks back from the Shoppe, and I was wondering if I shouls have this

> done. I'm not buildinf this motor for max. power, but I was wondering if
> anyone on the list has suffered from flywheel bolt failure of other
> catastrophic ocurrances on the business end of the crank. I recall the
> fellow in the yellow GT6 at BRIC as a case in point.
>
> Is this a rare occurance (flywheel/crank bolt failure), or was this a
fluke?

> regards,
> rml

---
> Bob Lang              Room N42-140Q          | This space for rent.
> Consultant            MIT Computer Services  |
> Voice: (617)253-7438  FAX: (617)258-9535     |

---