fot

FOT NewsFlash: Announcing SVRA TR/MG Challenge

To: "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: FOT NewsFlash: Announcing SVRA TR/MG Challenge
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:09:25 -0500
Amici Triumphi

Mark Your Calendars!!!

I'll make this short at this time, but  want to plant the idea for planning
purposes.

SVRA is in the early stages of planning for a TR/MG Challenge at Mid-Ohio,
10-14 June 1999.

SVRA always has a great event at Mid-Ohio with a great turn out and lots of
track time. For VSCDA members, it will not conflict directly with the
Blackhawk Classic.

Think about it, West Coasters and others, if you run Mid-Ohio you can do two
significant events back to back by going to the Blackhawk Classic at
Blackhawk Farms Raceway in Northern Illinois (Commercial message for home
club, VSCDA)

Mark Palmer of MG Vintage Racers, a group apparently much like the "Friends
Of Triumph", is the focal point for communications on the MG side of the
Challenge  He is projecting a turnout of about 50 to 60 MG and MG based
cars.

We need to  muster all of the resources we have to engage every Triumph and
Triumph Racer that will be racing in 1999.  All of our popular TR suppliers
and favorite Triumph personalities need to be involved, of course. We also
have representatives and principals from magazines like Grass Roots
Motorsports, Victory Lane, and Triumph Over Triumph. Should get some good
coverage on this.

I can also see getting the local TR clubs involved. Hard to duplicate the
SVRA TR blowout of 1993 at Mid-Ohio, when Triumph was the featured marque,
but I'll bet that VTR Prez Andy Mace and the Vintage Triumph Register will
rally around this British Flag event and promote a mass appearance of the
membership. Great potential conversation piece at Portland, Maine in July!!!

We also have an opportunity to develop new relationships and get to know
some our British counterparts in this gentlemen's challenge. Mark Palmer & I
will serve as conduits for information and planning. Not sure of our job
descriptions yet, but working on it.

MG's Mark Palmer has thrown the gentleman's gauntlet down....let's pick it
up. I have assured him that we will give the MGs a run for their money.  :-)

(OK Team Thicko, I think you will be able to run some of your cars as MG
Midgets-just bite your tongue, close your eyes, and say prayer to the Healey
Family-we will want you there if Mark allows it) Of course, our MG friends,
the Sterlings will likely be there.

I know the East Coast Gang will be there....Richard(2), Larry, George, Mike,
John, Cary, Tim, Jeff, etc?   West Coasters will need to start working on
the logisitcs...Baxter, Mordy, Bill B, Chuck, Ken, et. al? Need to talk
Portland's Babcock into shipping car out, flying in, and then returning for
BRIC in July. :-) I know that we will have a good turnout from the Midwest
in John, Jack, Tony,  Bill, Bob, Sean, Don, Ed, Dan, and perhaps some TR
'newbies' in Irv, Jim, Neil, Kent. How about those Texans...Susan, Bob....?

More later....

Joe Alexander
Friends Of Triumph

BTW, SVRA reminds me that we can draw from Group 10, which includes post-72
iron such as TR7s And TR8s