fot

Re: 2001 and Goodwood

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: 2001 and Goodwood
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:22:01 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> Thanks, John ... I was going to say something similar.

I was thinking this too, as (read on)...

> Folks, you should check out a past issue of R&T or AutoWeek if you
> don't know what the Earl of March's Goodwood Festival of Speed is all
> about. It's as exclusive as Monterey, if not moreso. The main event is
> a hillclimb, but the surrounding atmosphere is easily as exciting as
> the four-wheeled (and two-wheeled) iron...

On speedvision (why do I need a channel selector, anyway), they ran a 1
hour show of an event held a Goodwood this year where they have
re-activated the track section of the place. Then they held an event
where the cars actually raced wheel-to-wheel, and I'm talking Aston
Martin DBR1 and Listers and D Types and Ferraris and so forth. Millions
of UK pounds worth of cars.

And they weren't just doing "parade laps" either.

In one scene, Danny (He Spins and Wins) Sullivan driving a late 50's
vintage F1 car (I think it was a Brabham or Cooper) tries to overtake
another fellow and goes _wayyyyy tooo deeep_ into a corner - winds up
cutting the apex and then shooting across the track and doing some serious
agricultural racing. Yet, I think he (D.S.) won the heat. In another,
Sterling Moss winds up spinning an Aston Martin and stuffing the front
left into a tire wall...

But overall, the racing was pretty incredible, and it really was like
watching the racing of 40 years ago or so (er hmmm, or so I've heard.)
But spectators are _required_ to utilize period dress, and even the
mechanics dressed in the period style, and to quote Alan Decastenet (sp??),
wore light blue coveralls. Very nice indeed.

I guess my point is that the Earl of March (or one of his offspring) has
decided to take advantage of the notoriety of the place and start using
the road circuit again. I say - KOOOL.

later,
rml

p.s. now, if I just have peanut butter sandwiches for the next two years...
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |