fot

Re: HARMONIC BALANCER

To: Roger Beasley <beeline@iline.com>
Subject: Re: HARMONIC BALANCER
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:23:21 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Tilting the talk back towards Triumphs... ;-)

Roger - I have seen the opposite of your "iron duke" experience on none
other than a TR250 - the person in question discovered during the tech
for the VTR 96 AutoX that his crank pulley was loose. Thinking that this
was an isolated incident, he was able to "tighten" things down and
eliminate the resultant rattling from the loose pulley.

Later that day, the real reason for the bolt backing out became
completely obvious when his drive shaft "fell out" as a result of a
failed u-joint.

Yep. The vibration in the drive shaft caused things to loosen up at a
different part of the drive line.

That was quite the "thrash" getting that car fixed so the guy could drive
home to wherever he was living at the time - either Montreal or Dallas, I
can't remember.

Speaking of which, I've heard that some folks dab a little paint on nuts
and bolt heads when they're torqued down and double checked... sounds
like a good idea.

C ya,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |