fot

Re: Diff Differences...

To: BillDentin@AOL.COM, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diff Differences...
From: "R. KASTNER" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 05:12:43 -0800
I have  a couple of comments on the rear locker situation. First off, the
competition department paid for the tooling to make the lockers for all the
Triumph cars.  I know cause I had to find the money to pay for them.  Now on to
handling of the various lockers etc. The locker is strong, dependable but will
give some understeer.  The clutch type diff will have  a lot less understeer but
is not as strong driving out of the corner cause it does slip and it also
produces
a lot of heat because of this slippage. On our Sebring cars in 1966 it was
necessary to run a diff cooler cause in an hours practice they all (four) burned
out the pinion seals and leaked like sieves. I have run TR-3' s  with a welded
diff and if you want understeer baby this will give it to you.  But boy you talk
about drive off the corner, when you have it set it beats anything.The welded
diff
stops you from pointing the front in early without being on the gas.  If you are
good this is okay but if not you are still on the gas when you are gone. By
choice
I used the Detroit locker because it was always there and did the job. Work out
the little understeer with suspension settings.