fot

Re: TR-6 Rubber Damper

To: jwheeler@robus.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 Rubber Damper
From: TRBILBO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:45:23 EST
Hi Jack...
I've seen many an innovative fix...injections...home made recasting....most
don't work except in the mind of the inventors. Don't pull on the outer ring
(of course). The 'ooze' and cracking does NOT represent a failure in and of
itself. If cosmetic, seal it in black silicone rubber...paint it...use it.
Have rebuilt a dozen or more engines with up to three hundred thousand miles
with original dampers. If it rotates about the hub or flexes excessively by
hand...replace it. There are outfits in Hemmings that will rebuild these. Look
under 65 Mustangs...and 55 T Birds especially (I own a '55 bird and know
dampers are non available and therefore rebuilding is the only current
recourse)....rebuilders listed there for sure. Used ones (TR6) abound at swap
meets on the west coast....I may even have an extra if I can dig deep
enough...but sure it would have surface cracks and ooze too. My 70 TR6 has
140,000 cross country miles and head hasn't been off yet....but the damper is
structurally sound....cracks, ooze and all. Hoepfully what you got is good for
another 60 or 70 thousand miles....or 20 years...whichever comes first.

So unless it's already in two pieces...I'd say don't fret it...use it.

Just my (experienced ) two bits for what it is worth.

Bill (and Joanne) Burroughs, VTR So West Rep,
E Ticket Triumphs Vintage Race Team, Founder SCTOA
70 TR6, 69 TR250, 73 MkIV, 69 GT6+, 59 TR3A and two 65 TR4A
Vintage Race Cars. Happy Motoring!!