fot

Re: Triumph Sabrina

To: MWO Jeans & Fashion <MWO.Jeans.Fashion@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: Triumph Sabrina
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:38:29 -0400 ()
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, MWO Jeans & Fashion wrote:

> today I looked at some original drawings from Giovanni Michelotti he did for
> Triumph which are for sale. Amongst TR 4, Spitfire and some other models
>there
> are 5 drawings of a car titled 'Triumph Sabrina', if I remember correctly the
> date was 1959. I think it is a TR 3 based hardtop coupe (which is rather
>nice). I
> only know the 'Sabrina' twin cam prototype engine. Of course did this model
>never
> made it into production, but can anyone give a hint or heard about this
>proposal?
> I didn't find anything in the books.

Michael, first I'm surprised that these drawings are up for sale. Is this
through the family, or are these drawings that somehow got away from
Giovanni in years past? Perhaps the ultimate buyers might at least make
copies available to some of the Triumph clubs around the world and perhaps
to the BMIHT as well? We can hope.

As to the the "Triumph Sabrina": I wonder if it is somehow connected to
what became The Triumph Italia 2000. Many of the styling features of that
car are similar to those of the TRS Le Mans race cars that used the
"Sabrina" engine. I don't know if there ever had been plans to use the
Sabrina engine in that car? The only other thought is the one-off Conrero
GT, about which also fairly little has been written over the years.

I'm working from memory here, without any books at hand, so this is all
just "guesswork"!

--Andy