fot

Re: Scattershields

To: "David C. Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>
Subject: Re: Scattershields
From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@robus.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 07:16:54 -0500
I can relate to your story!  When I got my TR-4 to my first driver's school
at M.A.R. (old track West of St. Louis) in the spring of 1974, I had a
similar experience.  Apparently the scattershield rule was not too
prominently displayed in the GCR (or I was concentrating on other things).
Anyway, when I got to the tech line, the tech inspector asked me what I was
using for a scattershield.  I said 'A what?' (obviously not aware that a
scattershield was required).

He sent me over to a local gas station to look for a worn out steel belted
tire to wrap around my bell housing.  I can't remember if we found one or
not, but it was immaterial because before my group was scheduled to be on
the track it started to snow.  It kept it up all day and we had about 10"
on the ground by evening.

When I got back to school I ordered a 'flak jacket' type mat which I laid
on the floor over the transmission tunnel and under my feet.  This was a
temporary measure, but it got me through the driver's school which was
rescheduled for the following weekend.  Eventually, I got around to
fabricating a scattershield out of 1/4" steel plate.  It wrapped around the
1/3 of the bell housing which was near my feet and bolted to the top of the
transmission.  This design seemed to work well (althought I never tested
the effectiveness of it in stopping clutch/flywheel parts).  It was also a
lot lighter than the flak jacket!

Good luck.