fot

Re: TR6 pinion failure/ part house bearings

To: rbownes@neworks.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 pinion failure/ part house bearings
From: Catpusher@AOL.COM
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 02:44:16 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/99 11:23:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rbownes@neworks.net writes:

<<
 On a related note, disassembled two TR6 diffs over the weekend. Both have
 the same failure mode, both appear to have had cracks in the pinion gear
 that come from a stress riser from the original machining. One in fact had
 a tooth break in half with the crack underneath still in place (and still
 oil stained). Both have had a tooth shear off at the base of the tooth with
 obvious beach marks rolling across the root.

 Other than too much HP, any suggestions as to why?

Bob & FOTers,

Ring and pinion failures in Triumphs are usually caused by bearings and
selective washers wearing out and the shock loads caused by the loss
of preload and/or proper running clearances.  Old age and lack of maintenance
are more likely than causes than improper design.

For rear axles rebuilt out in the field, sub (Standard -Triumph) work is most
often the cause.  I used the guess and paint the teeth + wire wheel hammer
method until I had access to the proper tools.  There is a large difference
between the two routes!  I spent a long time learning from the factory
service school
teachers, and obtaining all the factory tools.  I have built quite a number
of Triumph
rear axles, and have yet to have a failure.

Part house bearings may very often be the same, but not always.  Factories
could and did require special bearings some of the time.  I remember the first
time that a bearing house sold a timken bearing to me, and brushed off my
notice that their bearing was missing the "SR".
 I also  well remember the first TR rear axle that I set up after Jaguar
Rover Triumph started supplying the "just as
good as" domestic pinion head inner bearing.
Price may reflect a better control of specifications, or a higher mark up; or
some times both.

I did not build my race team with things that "are just as good as", but there
are no doubt some good Ugo parts out there; and the Triumph Factory is slow
in responding to requests for spares.  Napa can be a good resource,  just use
caution.

Good Racing     HP