fot

Accusump

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Accusump
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:21:11 -0500

Bob Lang wrote:

> With respect to the Accusump and dry sump systems, are they really
> necessary if you have baffles??? I'm talking about autocross and possibly
> later on some road course action (like time trialing or high speed
> "touring" with BMWCCA).

My understanding is that one of the chief advantages of the Accusump (which,
I hasten to add, I do NOT have on my TR6 - yet) is that it retains a supply
of oil under pressure when the engine is not running - and is thus able to
provide an immediate supply of pressurized oil when the engine is started,
avoiding those first few seconds when the bearing surfaces are spinning w/o
a supply of oil under pressure.

Baffles, of course, supply no such protection - nor do they increase the
volume of oil in circulation as an Accusump does.

Jim Hill
Madison WI