fot

Re: Water jackets "MURIATIC ACID" use

To: Greg Solow <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: Water jackets "MURIATIC ACID" use
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:48:20 -0700
One of the many hats I have worn in my life is that of a poolman....  a friend
of mine put himself through college by running his own pool cleaning route...
and I learned his route and the skills... simply so that I could cover his route
when he was on vacation... making a little money for myself while I was at it.

One thing I learned from him is that the "Muriatic Acid" (for pools) that you
buy at the local hardware store is not nearly as strong as the acid sold by
pool-specific-supply houses...   Since my friend has now become a lawyer, the
pool cleaning days are far behind us... as well as my source for the acid!  In
recent times, I have found, just as he said, that the stuff from Home Depot just
doesn't cut it... though it will suffice.

The message here is... if you are aware of one of those little pool cleaning
supply places that you see out of the corner of your eye on your way to work...
THAT is where you should buy your acid.

Regardless of the source, if you are unfamiliar with working with acid... READ
all warning that come with the stuff and treat it with utmost respect...  it's a
great tool in our vintage car restoration arsenal...  but it can also do
incredible damage to you, your loved ones, pets, and so on.  Be careful!

--Justin