fot

Re: Water jackets "MURIATIC ACID" use

To: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: Water jackets "MURIATIC ACID" use
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:54:22 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

While I concur that the "Home Depot" brand of muriatic acid is a bit
weak, I'd like to relate the following experience.

I used a small amount of M.A. to wash a cement floor prior to painting.
As an aside this is yet another job that I never finished. ;-) Anyway,
there was probably 2/3's of the bottle left after the job.

So I capped it securely and put it "on the shelf" along with some other
painting supplies. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Last winter a few times I came home to my house to the "strong odor" of
toluene. This was not unexpected, because I was painting lots of little
"bits" for the cars... but a few times I got the "smell" when I had not
been painting. Hmmmm. Granted I did set up a "spray booth" to vent paint
fumes, but maybe the paint was still curing after I turned the vent
off... so I blew the stink off as coincidence.

This summer I went to find a can of special paint that I had acquired
years ago... for that "special finish" on some part. Anyway, on "the
shelf" were maybe 15 cans of various spray paint cans. The first few that
I removed seemed normal half empty spray cans, but then there were a
couple of very "light" ones... like empty. I figured this was strange -
even for me - to put empty cans back on the shelf.

As you may have guessed, the acid bottle vented. Not a lot, but enough to
cause the 5 or 6 nearest cans to go into severe corrosion mode with
resultant loss of pressure. Mystery solved, as regards to the toluene smell.

Oh well.

And I missed bringing that stuff to the semi-annual toxic waste cleanup.
Looks like I have that hanging around for another 6 months. Unless I
finish painting the floor, of course.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |