fot

Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction

To: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@smtp.interactive.net>, <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:51:47 -0000
Bill Sohl wrote:

  Auctions are an unusual
>sales venue for cars because they have so many
>"unknowns" for any given auction.  If a car sells
>at a low price was it because the seller really needed
>the $$$ and there just wasn't anyone else in the
>audience interested?  Who knows.  The converse can
>be when two people are after the same car and it gets
>bid up to what anyone would consider an outrageous price.

Good point, Bill. I was talking to a guy only today who is something of an
expert on Stags
and values many of them for insurance companies. Just before Christmas, he
attended a
leading auction in the UK where a truly mint, genuine 25,000 miles from new
Stag went
under the hammer. Wearing his valuation hat, he felt the selling price would
inevitably be
somewhere between GBP9000 to 12000 (US$14400 to 19,200) because the car was
that good. By
all accounts, the auction wasn't well attended - it was just before Christmas.
The Stag
went to the highest bidder at GBP3950 (US$6300) Someone got a snip - at UK
prices, anyway!

Jonmac