fot

Re: How many are we?

To: "michael l. cook" <mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: How many are we?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:58:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, michael l. cook wrote:

> Even more interesting, car clubs in other countries maintain club
> premises and even own their own buildings. Some have pubs! Does anyone
> know of a US car club that meets in its own building?

I don't know of one in my area, but this would be kool. I'd opt for an
asymmetrical hydraulic lift way before I'd belong to one that had a pub,
but that's just my personal preference. If a club happened to have both,
well, I could lower my standards... pun intended.

> Most of the ones I belong to turn out enough people at meetings to
> comfortable fill somebody's living rom and that's about it. It's a
> different world.

It sure is a different world, but can be summed up in one word:
geography. Britain is a heck of alot smaller than the US. And some of the
clubs in the US cover relatively large geographical areas... Triumphs of
the Carolinas, for example, must cover more land area than all of the UK.
I know New England Triumphs covers a pretty big area, I've tried hosting
events all over it to get folks to come out with thier cars... but let's
not go there right now.

As for folks in the UK being joiners, I must have got that gene from my
ancestors... I belong to quite a few clubs, probably 7 or 8, some local
and some "national". I might even join an international one someday. So,
the joiners thing is not limited to the UK proper.

> Mike Cook

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |