fot

Re: How many are we?

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: How many are we?
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@smtp.interactive.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:56:47 +0000
Joe wrote:
> I'm not casting aspersions toward Bill,

No aspersions taken :-)

>but I think the problem is with the US in General.

Agreed.  See more below.

>  It's one thing to offer a brochure to a Triumph
> owner at an event, but many of the owners never get to any of those
> events.

Absolutely true and I, as a past PR guy for VTR have
tried everything we can think of.  We have run ads (paid
ads) in various magazines (Road&Track, Old Cars Weekly,
Hemmings, British Car, etc.)  Anytime I could get a free
plug in to a magazine I'd also do so.  TRF and Moss
have printed info about clubs, including VTR.  The fact
remains that a large number of USA owners (owners of
all kinds of marques) just are NOT joiners.  They own
an old car, drive and enjoy it occasionally and that is
the extent of their interest.

> Surely there is some way to seek out triumph owners who are so
> isolated that they never have the opportunity to even discover there are
> clubs to join.

If you discover how, please let us all know.

> Maybe the internet will bring us all closer together.  As mote and more
> people get logged in, the world has begun to shrink!!!

Well the internet is now VTR's best source of new members.
People that can afford a "hobby" car are probably able
to afford, buy and use internet access.