fot

Re: TR4 Wheels

To: ggrant@beta.tricity.wsu.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Wheels
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 12:47:31 -0500
Hi Glenn,
       You asked:

>I'm looking for some advice on wheel fitment for my TR4.  What is the
>widest aftermarket wheel that typically shows up on a TR4 used for
>frequent autocrossing?

First, let me congratulate you on your choice of cars for autocrossing!
<smile>

>I am thinking of a Panasport or Panasport Light
>in a 15x7 to get the old minilite look.  Do you have any recommendations
>or knowledge of fitment problems with wheels this wide?

I'm running 15 X 7 Panasport wheels on my TR-4.  They are a good
choice for this use, although the Lights might be better.  Revolution
also makes a good wheel in this size.

>...Ever seen a
>15x8, or does this width start to create problems with clearance or
>suspension geometry.

Well, there's another consideration to take into account.  What class
will you be running this car in?  If you are going into E/P, a 7 inch
rim is the maximum allowed wheel width.  If you are in going to be
in Street Prepared, any wheel width is legal.  You may have clearance
problems with an 8 inch rim, as I ran into that when I borrowed Bob
Lang's wheels which had a bit more offset than mine do.  They rubbed
the fenders until I removed the spacers that I use, thereby reducing
the effective track width a bit.

>Do you know the factory wheel offset or backspacing?

I'd have to measure that for you, as it I don't remember it off
the top of my head, I'm afraid.

>I have wheel studs, not knockoffs.

That's good, although I would strongly suggest upgrading to 1/2" studs
if you are going to be autocrossing on sticky tires (and especially
if you will use slicks).

>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd be happy to help out with any other questions you might have.

Have fun,
R. John Lye

rjl@gt-classics.com
http://www.gt-classics.com