fot

Re: TR4 Wheels

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: TR4 Wheels
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 15:34:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, R. John Lye wrote:

Hi All,

Seeing that I was mentioned, I thought it would be appropriate to chime
in here.

The Panasport lights should only be used for racing... they don't bend
very well. But they are light, I think in the 12 or 13 pound range. If
you will be driving this car on the street, forget the lights and buy the
regular Panasports.

If you want a cheap alternative, the various houses sell a "mini lite
replica" wheel by K&N for a bit less than the Panasports.

To be clear on the wheel width thing for SCCA type autocross, the TR4 would
use the following wheels:

Stock (HS)              4.5" X 15. Some folks use TR6 rims, but this is
                        technically illegal
Street Prepared (FSP)   anything that'll fit, 8 X 15 inch rims and Hoosier
                        225/45 DOT radials are a very good choice
Prepared (EP)           7 x 15 - it's in the rules. Use 23 X 9 X 15 sliX
Mod (DM or EM)          anything goes, more or less. Slicks are usually
                        the choice - and you can use 10 inch rims if you can
                        figure out how to get 'em to fit.

If you use 7 X 15 rims, go with the stanrdard offset. If you go with 8
inch rims, you need to be careful of the backspace because there is a
chance that the wheels will interfere with the upper A-arms in the front.

My 15 X 7 Revolution rims have a 3.75 inch backspace which although unusual
for these cars provides for no interference problems whatsoever. I'm not
sure the geometry is ideal, but the wheels fit and they don't hit
anything. John's reference to rubbing was due to the different backspace
and the .75 inch (or was it 1 inch?) wheel spacers that he uses. The
tires stuck _way out_ from the fender well and rubbed on the rear of the
front wheel opening at full steering lock.

Given the choice, I'd get the 7 inch Panasport lights with the standard
offset (in other words, whatever listing they have for a TR4). Then you
can use these for AutoX, but if your driving star fades or you decide to
"move on", you can sell the wheels to someone that either autocrosses or
road races.

That's my $.02 worth.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |