fot

BMW/Rover

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: BMW/Rover
From: "fredd" <fal@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:26:42 -0800
John,

Is your explenation also valid for the Land Rover and Range Rover brand name
?
I believe that they are part of the BMIHT, correct ?
I would hate to see these names go to BMW and get it srewed up as the Rolls
Royce/Bentley deal.

fredd
In a past life,  Jaguar  (pre-Ford)  owner,
My wife drives a Volvo, (pre-Ford) ,
And I'm glad to have my pre-BMW LR Series and pre-BMW Range.
And i still dreanm about having a pre-Ford Aston (OK, I keep dreaming)

> What many fail to realise
> is that all former trademarks (and these are still registered and as
current in terms of
> authorised for commercial use or violation as that of IBM or McDonalds)
would eventually
> revert back to BMIHT if BMW pulled out altogether. If that does happen,
and the world will
> know tomorrow, those trademarks revert back to BMIHT. When the Trust was
formed in 1975
> which is personified in the existence of Gaydon and everything within it,
that means
> trademarks, vehicles and the archive in its many forms are inviolate.
Under British Law,
> these belong to everyone and no-one at the same time. This means that BMW
can never claim
> their absolute ownership. What's more, all 25 million engineering drawings
in the archive
> at Gaydon remain BMIHT property in perpetuity. Gaydon and the Trust which
administers it
> is part of the "accompanied luggage" that comes with Rover. It was
precisely with this
> eventuality in mind that Leyland Cars set up British Motor Heritage
Limited, together with