fot

Re: A couple questions

To: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@seidata.com>
Subject: Re: A couple questions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:03:16 -0700

Jack Wheeler wrote:

> Here's a non-technical story on the above subject, which you may enjoy.
>  When I started my E-Type restoration, I drained about 5 gallons of really
> old fuel (the car had been sitting for about 10 years when I got it) out of
> the fuel tank.  Actually there was more than 5 gallons in the tank, but a
> lot of it ended up on my garage floor and is now either mixed in with my
> garage floor paint or is residue in the gutter in front of and alongside my
> garage.
>
> Anyway, I had the 5 gallons of old gasoline to dispose of.  I called
> everyone I could find in the yellow pages who I thought might be able to
> help, but to no avail.  I was willing to pay to get rid of it.  I sure
> didn't want to pollute the environment.  One day I was meeting with the
> Mayor of our city, and asked him if he had any suggestions of how I could
> legally dispose of this old gasoline.  He suggested I go upstairs in City
> Hall and ask the Fire Chief for his recommendations (I wasn't sure why he
> would refer me to the fire chief).  The Fire Chief said, "If it was me, I'd
> take it out in the country and pour it on the ground in a field somewhere".
>  I couldn't believe my ears.  I guess we really do live in a rural area!
>  Some weeks later the old gasoline mysteriously disappeared from that 5
> gallon can.  I wonder where it went???

Jack,
I found myself in that situation a couple of times when
draining the tanks of a couple of Spitfires.  The fuel had
turned to paint thinner (or worse) and smelled pretty bad.
Not finding anyplace to get rid of it, I ended up using it
to clean parts in.  Works pretty good if you can put up with
the stench!

Joe